Search This Blog

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Lord of Power?



Just Who Am I?

I’m a MAN, the MAN? Well lets just say I fit the “Adult Collector” tagline on all of the things NECA makes. Do I collect adults? No that would be weird and I’d run out of self-space after my third neighbor.
Anyway, more on topic, I’m an addict to all things plastic and posable. I’ve been collecting for as long as I can remember, but I had to start nearly from scratch a couple of years ago. While the things that line the shelves in my apartment may have changed, I’m still poised comfortably in my own little Neverland. To start things off, how about a little trip back to the first toy I remember getting and one that I’ve (magically?) been able to keep in one piece.


THE REVIEW:

Opening Ramblings:
Aliens Anonymous
He’s a man from Toran… Earth and possibly the “inspiration”/copied IP for the movie Avatar. The main protagonist of the 1983 Revell action figure line “Power Lords”, Adam Power and his alter ego… Lord Power--if I’m even remembering that right. The Lord of Power was found at some random person’s garage sale in the 1990’s in the prestigious 50 cents bin. Lord of Power is something that I’m surprised hasn’t been used yet by an electric company… Duke Energy: The Lords of Power!

Articulation:
My next single: "Walk Like A Power Lord"
As far as articulation goes, he has an out of this world 14 POA if you count the action feature. The arms have a great range of motion; the only thing I think it’s really missing is a shoulder swivel. The way the wrists are sculpted, I don’t think they could have managed to put in a wrist joint.  His legs, while less articulate, are still decent in the way of movement. The ankles on my figure are very loose and it’s usually hard for him to stand on his own. The leg sculpts hit each other and have worn the paint in that area, not even baby powder could save it now.

Paint Work:
Who's this Jake Sully guy?
 Being more than thirty years old, the paint has seen better days. The main body seems to be molded in orange and the head is molded in a harder yellowish color. Upon a close inspection his feet are molded in a slightly different color than the rest of the body. The head, like many of the early MOTU guys is made of this rubbery plastic. The way the paint has been chipped on the head, it looks like Adam has been working as a lifeguard in-between his fights with Arkus. The alien chest shows the most wear on my figure with a large orange spot on the chest.
Sub Species of Na'vi?

In Review:
This is a figure from my childhood and one that I’m sure isn’t loved by everyone. But the Four Horsemen seem to share my enjoyment of these characters and property. For the past few months they’ve been releasing updated 3 ¾ scale figures based on the original line and its concepts (this figure is about 5 ½ inches).  While I’ve yet to pick up any (do to sell outs) getting Adam and Lord Power will be a top priority.
If any one has a display of SciFi toys, The Power Lords would fit right in.



Score: 10 out of 10 for childhood nostalgia

Where to Find:




Size Comparisons



No comments:

Post a Comment