Search This Blog

Saturday, March 29, 2014

MOTUC Hydron


The year so far
Such Professionalism
--Not sure that I’m happy with the sectioned posts I’ve made, lets switch it up a little (comments are welcome)--

Little known fact—I’m scuba certified, or at least I was, gotta find that card somewhere.  Anyway random me trivia aside, I got picked this figure up from my local mailbox last night. Hydron is dubbed “Courageous Leader” on the box, and he must be to wear something like this. Clad in over the top B-movie scuba gear, he looks like he’s coming from “The Creature of the Black Lagoon 6: Waters of Mars”.

New Adventures is my favorite “sub-theme” for the MOTUC line and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for it after the Vintage lines are finished in the 2015 sub. I know that the fan-base is not nearly the crowd that is the POP line. That being said, I think that The New Adventures line is likely for it’s own mini-sub. I just want a Butthead MOTUC blister, is that too much to ask?

I lucked out last year, it was the first year I subscribed and I got both of my completion wants from the line, NA He-Man and Mantenna. Then when the 2014 Sub was announced, Hydron was the March figure. With the exception of Gorpo, all the figures that were revealed were all A/B-list and needed for the line. Glimmer was the only one that wasn’t appealing to me, but hey eye of the beholder and whatnot.

Somewhat off topic rambling over, lets look at the figure…

The Face of Leadership


Finally? Mer-Man has his own He-Man equivalent. That’s all I could really see when I ripped Hydron out of his blister prison. Hydron aka Daniel Ripper Jr is the Courageous Leader of the Galactic Protectors. In the cartoon Hydron and Flipshot when down to Eternia to recruit He-Man in the fight against the Space Mutants. In the new bios for MOTUC, the time-traveling headache is taken out an instead the battle is against The Horde thankfully Spector isn’t needed.
Starship Eternia Back Pack- check
Triton Spear Gun -check


"Blub bluub blub"
Buck Naked
All his stuff










Objectively, there is nothing that space-agey about the figure and it could just as easily fit as a underwater gear Palace Guard. The Four Horsemen have made an excellent update to the original figures design. Even the discolored plastic is present. Hydron features several new tools and they are unlikely to be reused for other characters. The helmet is watertight, I don’t know why I wanted to test that, but there you go. I do wish that the red Vader respirator was a removable piece ala Stinkor, but frankly the fact we got this figure at all makes me happy. If Mer-Man hadn’t been packed with the 2000x head, I think a 2000x variant would’ve been likely. My favorite part of the paint on this figure is the gauntlets; something about the gold and green combo looks great. The metallic silver paint is also much appreciated.
Never going to happen

This is a great figure, blocky armor aside, and one that I never thought we would see in official MOTUC form. The New Adventures of He-Man was my first introduction to the franchise, and really one of the first cartoons I can remember watching. As a whole, Hydron was my most wished for NA figure after NA He-Man, and with him out of the way I need to think of a new “Holy Grail”… Butthead?

Sea Fight

















2 comments:

  1. Looks good, man. Nice review! Looks like you got quarterly shipping, huh? I'm just not patient enough for that!

    Glad to know that the helmet is actually waterproof, too. Just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm barely patient enough, my sub was almost cancelled too.

    ReplyDelete